Friday, October 2, 2015

How I Met Your Mother Review- "Last Time in New York"

I remember the excitement I felt as I, and the great majority of my social circle, caught up with the last season of this series every week. And I remember finding this episode to be a slight disappointment from the stellar premiere eps, mainly due to the lack of Tracy. While having more of her presence would have been nice, this holds up a little better than I remembered, and I like it about as much as "Coming Back".

If anything, my least favorite part might be Marshall and Daphne's weak attempt for a side plot, but it's slight enough to where I can forgive, or at least ignore it. Vikings jokes usually do work for the show, and this has a couple that are solid, but this feels like a waste of space to give Segel his paycheck for the episode. And Daphne so far hasn't been given a lot to make her stand out, despite Sherri Shepard being game for the show's sensibilities.

Robin and Barney's material is similarly silly, but not necessarily in a bad way. This is a good way to bring them back together, as they address whether or not they can keep the spark going well after this weekend, an issue that even Lily and Marshall tend to still have. The recurring gag about anal wears thin fast, but their chemistry shines regardless.

The main course of this episode comes from Ted and Lily, who get the chance to hash out their issues just once more, along with a few Princess Bride references to fill the show's quota. The characters still have it, as their discussion feels real and essential here, just as it should. If Ted really is going to leave New York, then he better hope that he can find some friends who can match the gang, particularly Lily's honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment