Tuesday, September 23, 2014

How I Met Your Mother Review- "Matchmaker"

Matchmaker  (1x07)

Directed by Pam Fryman
Written by Sam Johnson and Chris Marcil

One Paragraph Synopsis: Per the request of Robin, Ted accepts a matchmaker program... only to find out that there are no available women in the area that's right for him. The one match he found is dating another man with a lower compatibility rate. Ted makes a run for it anyway, in hopes that they're not that serious. At the same time, Marshall and Lily have discovered a new, terrifying creation- the Cockamouse.

The HIMYM crew have taken pride in being a gay friendly show, and in truth, it has done some good with non-straight people over the course of its run. An important supporting gay character will appear before too long, while other gay and bi characters make their way through the show as well. I'd even argue that at least two of the core five characters are pan or bi, even if they're closeted.

But damn if the show doesn't have issues with homophobic or transphobic lines over its nine year run. Sadly, many a writer will call a man a girl to make a laugh without thinking about the repercussions, even now as we're becoming more trans inclusive in the coming years, and that's just not funny. I've mentioned one or two lines like this from the previous few episodes that don't work now. This episode has a few more, and only a little to make it a better episode.

I couldn't get into this episode not just because Barney called Ted potential girlfriend material or a confused line about a trans person who thinks Ted looks like John Cusack. "Matchmaker" is uncomfortable in another way entirely- Ted comes off as kind of creepy.

I understand being disappointed if you've been told that there is nobody compatible for you. I would be too, although I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I was told the same thing. Ted has every right to feel down about the results. What I'm less okay with is his tracking down his highest compatible match after being told that she's in a relationship, then trying to get her to leave her fiance. With Barney, it would still be despicable, but it's not like he cares about the implication, and the joke would end up being on him. In Ted's story, he's being sold as his usual romantic self while bugging this obviously happily engaged woman, which is a conflict of intent to my eyes.

I'll save this rant for later, since Sarah (whose name I didn't remember before checking Wiki, since the episode barely mentioned it) does shoot Ted down. It's also important to remember that Ted and Sarah's compatibility was a 9.6 out of 10, while Sarah's compatibility with her fiance is only an 8.5. This is the clincher to me, as there's an interesting concept to it- perhaps if they had met sooner, Ted and Sarah would have clicked and she would have been the mother. But life doesn't always work like that. Perhaps there isn't just the one, but maybe any given person is likely to have a few great loves in their life, but destiny doesn't allow you to end up some or most of them. This could have been a love story, but Ted missed his chance to make it happen, so we'll never know. I could go more into this, but the script doesn't, so why bother?

If the rest of the episode was as fascinating as this concept, I'd be more favorable to it. But truthfully, I'm tired of Ted's quest right now. We're just treading water in this plotline right now, while there is much to look forward to in the show as it goes along.

Like the rest of the gang! Barney gets a good lashing out from Ellen, the matchmaker lady, as she calls his bullshit a mile away. It's a great bit, as it becomes believable that she is just tired of dealing with sleazeballs like him every day at the place. He and Robin also offer some good jokes to Marshall and Lily's material, which keeps things going a little.

The Cockamouse story has got to be the most memorable part about the episode, although I don't think it's all that strong by itself. Marshall and Lily's quest for the disgusting creature barely fits in with Ted's story, and comes off as disjointed. I also just don't find their descriptions of the fact to be particularly strong, which comes off as disappointing.

But what I am thankful for in their storyline, and for this episode in general, is setting up Marshall's belief of the paranormal into the series. We're really starting to get to know these characters now, and it's hardly surprising to see that Marshall has an extensive knowledge of the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot. This is true to his character, as Marshall continues to keep an open mind to just about anything for all of his life, which becomes especially true about the possibility of the incredibly bizarre. It also makes for great jokes to come, although his lines come off as a touch cliche here.

Even in an episode that I don't care much for, I can still easily find good. But make no mistake, I consider this to be the show's first full misfire. There are some interesting ideas behind it which I find to be underdeveloped, and the handful of jokes that work aren't enough for me rank this higher. But one mediocre episode after six decent to quite good ones is hardly something worth jumping ship for.

Side note: In case anyone cares, I just picked up the ninth season today. In hopes that I go the distance with this blog (and I'll try my damnedest to), I won't touch the set until I get to that point in the series. This means I'll have only seen each episode from the last season once. No more, no less. So it may not be too fresh on my mind at that point, but that should be a good thing, all things considered.

Edit!: You know, while watching this episode, I couldn't help but notice how the quantity of Barney's glass of scotch fluctuated after Lily drank from it the third time in this episode. I didn't mention this in the review, since whatever, continuity flaws happen in film and TV all the time. My mind came back to it after my professor talked about continuity today, though. I actually came to tell him about this little bit after class, and he told me something that's very true- if you start to pay attention to the quantity of a drink during a scene, the production must have far more issues than just continuity. So I feel validated about not liking this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment